Here are some fat bombs…AKA energy bombs! Fat is not a bad word around here, did you know that?
I made these bites without any sweetener, so they are NSNG (No Sugar No Grains). They are not sweet, so don’t expect them to be! Having one of these is like eating a shot of espresso. Oh, yeah!
If you must have that sweet sense on the tongue, you can always add a little liquid sweetener. (Go easy, now!)
I intend to use these Coconut Cacao Nut Butter Bites to fuel my active days out on the mountain bike or up on the ski hill. I expect 1 bite to keep me going for hours!
Please note– I still need to find out how they travel. The bites solidify in the fridge, but I don’t yet know how soft they’ll get at room temperature. I’m going to pack them “appropriately.”
You can use any variety of 100% nut or seed butter and any type of chopped nuts in this recipe. I used unsweetened sunflower seed butter and *unsalted pistachios.
1/2 C coconut oil
1/2 C peanut butter, almond butter or sunflower seed butter
1/2 C organic cacao/cocoa powder
1 t cinnamon
Optional- maple syrup or agave nectar, to taste
3/4 C finely shredded unsweetened coconut
1/2 C chopped unsalted nuts
1 T chia seeds
1/2 t vanilla extract
1. Use a double boiler to melt and liquify the coconut oil and nut or seed butter.
2. Stir in the cocoa powder, cinnamon, salt, and sweetener (if using).
3. Remove from the heat and add the remaining ingredients.
4. Cool the ingredients (in the top portion of the boiler) in the fridge for about 30 minutes. About every 5 minutes, stir the mixture.
5. Once the mixture thickens enough, use a “cookie scoop” or a 1/2 – 1 T measuring spoon to make small balls. Place them on a piece of parchment paper. My batch made 32.
6. Cool the bites in the fridge until they harden completely. Store them in a closed container in the fridge. You can eat these right out of the fridge. They melt in your mouth!
*I buy unsalted organic pistachios from nuts.com. They are awesome!