I’ve been meaning to post this super easy recipe for a while…so why not just “get-er-done” tonight? This morning we included half of these yummies in a simple breakfast sandwich of tempeh bacon, lettuce, avocado and Just Mayo. Too bad we didn’t have a ripe heirloom tomato!
1 block tempeh (thawed if previously frozen)
2 T oil (coconut or olive)
2 T tamari or soy sauce (low sodium)
1 T maple syrup
1 T rice vinegar
1 t ginger juice (The Ginger People)
1/4-1/2 t liquid smoke
hot sauce to taste or dash of black pepper
- Cut the block of tempeh into strips as pictured above.
- Heat the oil in a large griddle or saute pan over medium heat.
- Add the other ingredients to the oil and swish together.
- Add the tempeh strips to the pan and turn over the pieces so both sides soak in the liquids. The tempeh will soak up the liquids well.
- Cook until all the liquid absorbs and they are nicely browned. Flip the pieces every few minutes.
- That’s all there is to it!
Instead of a BLT sandwich, you could also include these in a spinach salad with your choice of raw veggies, toasted nuts, dried cranberries, and a mustard agave dressing. Delicious!
By the way– this formula makes a great tofu bacon, too. Simply substitute a block of extra firm tofu for the block of tempeh. Press the tofu, slice into strips or squares, then cook as above.