I love, love, love (!!) Allison Rivers Samson’s recipe for Grilled Tempeh Reuben Sandwiches so much that I decided to turn it into a soup recipe.
Tonight, I used red lentils instead of tempeh, and I used the vegetables that I had in my fridge. This soup could be made lots of different ways.
The magic formula = smoked paprika + caraway seeds + dill. You must taste this flavor combination to believe how good it is!
This soup recipe is NSNG (No Sugar No Grains).
1 T coconut oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
3 carrots, cut in discs
1 red pepper, chopped
1 cauliflower, chopped
1/2 zucchini, chopped (keep separate from the other vegetables)
dash celery salt
dash garlic powder
1/2 t black pepper
1 1/2 t dried dill
1 1/2 t caraway seeds
3 t smoked paprika
2 bay leaves
4 t VegeBase broth powder
1 C red lentils, rinsed
6 C water
2 T tamari
1/2 T apple cider vinegar
1. Heat the coconut oil over medium heat in a soup pot.
2. Add the vegetables except the zucchini. (The zucchini will be added at the end of the simmer so it doesn’t turn to mush.)
3. Add the dry spices. Saute the vegetables and spices for several minutes.
4. Add the lentils, water, and tamari. Simmer, covered for about 45 minutes, or until the lentils are cooked.
5. Remove from the heat, and stir in the zucchini and apple cider vinegar. Makes 6 pints.
For tonight’s meal, I ate the Reuben Soup with:
- a half cup of brown basmati rice
- a sprinkle of toasted pumpkin seeds
- several crushed red pepper flakes
- a forkful of sauerkraut
Here’s a picture of the Grilled Tempeh Reuben Sandwich…
Here’s a picture of a Tempeh Reuben Salad (NSNG)…