Here’s my basic curry recipe that feeds the two of us generously for a simple, one dish meal. Feel free to use whatever veggies you like in the same general quantities. For a bit of fruity sweetness, I suggest adding some chopped pineapple or mango, or garnish with raisins. This is “mild” on the spicy scale.
1 T coconut oil
1/2 t fenugreek seeds
1/2 small onion, sliced
several cloves garlic, minced
8 oz organic soybean tempeh, chopped
1 carrot, sliced
2 celery stalks, sliced
1/2 red pepper, chopped
1/2 stalk broccoli, flowers & stems chopped
1/8 t crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 t ground turmeric
1 t Garam Masala (blend of cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, cumin, pepper and coriander)
1 t curry powder blend
2 T full fat unsweetened coconut milk
toasted pumpkin seeds
finely shredded unsweetened coconut
- Use a large high-sided saute pan that has a lid.
- Heat the coconut oil and fenugreek seeds on medium heat.
- Add the garlic, onion, and tempeh and stir.
- Add the rest of the veggies with the spices and stir.
- Add the wet ingredients, except the coconut milk, and stir.
- Reduce heat and simmer (covered) for 10 minutes, to soften the broccoli.
- Stir in the coconut milk and cook (uncovered) another 5 minutes, to thicken the sauce.
- Turn off the burner and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Top with the nuts, seeds, raisins and/or shredded coconut.
(NSNG = No Sugar No Grains)