Charming the ladies at The Shire Cafe – March 28, 2015
(MARCH 21 – APRIL 21)
WEEK 31 (PARTIAL WEEK)
Todd got to play with my sister’s family on his 7th month “birthday” (March 21st). They stopped by our house for lunch and a visit on their way from Oregon to Canada, for a ski vacation. We hadn’t been together since Christmas, and Todd has really changed since then!
My sister’s family visiting – March 21, 2015
Poor Todd had a couple **rough nights of sleep this week, and crying in the night didn’t seem to indicate he was simply hungry. Sure– he’d take some formula and it helped settle him, but something else was upsetting him. He cried, “ma ma ma” and I’m pretty sure it meant he wanted me.
When I tried putting him back in his crib, he tended to cry more and it took several attempts with rocking him in my glider chair to essentially get him asleep before I could put him in bed and then quietly slip away. I have to admit, it feels wonderful to be wanted! It’s precious the way he stands at his crib rails and pulls on my shirt, as if pleading me to pick him up.
**Fortunately, a “rough” night for Todd means waking up either more than once, or else waking up just once but taking a long time (i.e. up to 2 hrs) to go back to sleep. Believe me– I know I’m lucky that most nights Todd sleeps through the night without a peep!!
Sleepy Todd, ready for bed – March 24, 2015
Since Todd started really crawling last week, I’m now in “baby-proof” mode!
Getting into everything! – March 23, 2015
- he does what I call the “Bruce Lee shriek,” especially when he’s concentrating or excited
- tries to put a toy in my mouth, offers me food, gives “kisses”
- lots of drool and blowing large drool bubbles
- has a ticklish neck
- sits and turns around in place on his butt by “walking” his legs
- standing up in his crib when we open the door to his room in the mornings
- looking down at his penis while on the toilet…or is he watching where the “pee-pee” goes?
Pulling-to-stand everywhere he can! – March 26, 2015
- we got a Little Tikes Push & Ride Racer car for seated rides and assisted walking
- evening catnaps on mama and dada before it’s actually bed time
- “baby-proofing” in process!
New (vegan) foods this week:
- refried beans
- mashed avocado
This week I have to mention how much I love Todd’s kisses! He does seem to know what he’s doing when I ask for a kiss by bringing him near my face and pursing my lips. He “kisses” by first holding still (instead of offering a head butt!), then he opens his mouth wide and leans in. It’s so darn sweet! If I’m lucky, he’ll give me up to 5 of those sloppy, wet kisses in a row!
In addition, Todd sometimes brings a toy to his mouth and then he brings it to my mouth, as if he is sharing his toy with me. I tell him, “Thank you! You are such a nice boy!”
Still using the swing for naps but getting so big! – March 27, 2015
On the food front– In addition to handling finger foods, Todd is quite receptive to being spoon fed various purees. I offer the spoon near his mouth and he helps pull it in with one hand. He might first use an index finger to feel the food, sweep it off, then suck his finger. I have 2 spoons available for the process because he doesn’t always let me have the spoon back.
If I put the pinch bowl containing green smoothie up to his mouth, he insists on dipping his fingers in the bowl before he’ll slurp it down. Finger painting with food is a given!
Green smoothie face paint – March 31, 2015
- able to crawl up 1 “step” (we don’t have stairs but we made a 6″ step out of an upside down storage container)
- jumps on the couch while holding on
- repeatedly throws and retrieves a toy ring
- can crawl quickly and goes from room to room
- seems to want more hugs and gives lots of kisses
- 1st time turning on his own Baby Einstein Sea Dreams Soother (it might have been an accident, who knows? – 3/31)
Enjoying the fresh air, the sights and sounds – March 27, 2015
- standing at the window to look outside and feel the breeze
- loves to splash in his baby tub
- loves feeling dried moss out the sliding glass door
- smiles big when waking up in the morning and after naps
- stroller walk on the trail by the Arlington airport and lunch at The Shire Cafe (3/28)
- we lowered the crib 1 increment (3/29)
- stroller walks at Jennings Park (3/29, 4/1)
Jennings Park – March 29, 2015
New (vegan) foods this week:
Jennings Park – April 1, 2015
- he gave kisses to his stuffed frog, Wilbur, and his bird rattle friends
- 1st time standing up with just leg strength (video below) (4/5)
- 1st crawl across the kitchen floor (sort of a crab walk – 4/8)
- doesn’t like to stay just where his toys are, so explores the house
- having an issue with some diaper rash
- eczema has been much better but he continues to scratch above his left ear
- 1st time swinging at a park and sliding down a slide (4/5)
1st time in a swing – April 5, 2015
New (vegan) foods this week:
- flour tortilla
- Gardein Beefless Tips
- black olive
April 5, 2015
This week we drove to Bend, OR to visit family for a 4-day weekend. Todd hadn’t done a car ride of that duration since Christmas. He did sleep quite a bit during the drive, but when he was awake, he’d practice his ear-piercing shrieks. I made a mental note to pack earplugs next time!!
My sister’s house has 2 stories, so during the weekend I was able to confirm my suspicion– that Todd is capable of crawling up stairs. Sure enough, he tackled a flight with ease. Of course, the only problem (as expected), is that he’ll stop to sit up mid-step which would topple him backward if someone wasn’t ready to catch him.
Another first during the weekend: Todd said “da da” and “ga ga”/”gee ga.” Of course, that was extra exciting for dada and mama to hear.
At a park in Bend, OR – April 9, 2015
- 1st nap in the Pack ‘n Play travel bed (25 minutes – 4/11)
- 1st time crawling up flight of stairs (Bend, OR – 4/11)
- new sounds: “da da” (4/11), “ga ga,” “gee ga”
- scoots backward while sitting to slide across the kitchen floor
- follows me through the house/prefers to be where I am
- attempts to take one step but he sits down at the same time
- touches his penis while sitting on the toilet
- he likes to knock over stacked toys
Ashley, Todd & Eric at Old Mill – April 10, 2015
- 4-day weekend in Bend, OR to visit family (4/9-4/12)
- stroller walks in Bend
- dining out in Bend (Spork (4/9), La Rosa (4/10), Bonta (4/10)
- one poop in the diaper (4/13)
- laughing when Eric snuck up on him at the couch (4/13)
Eric & Todd enjoying some live music after dinner at La Rosa and vegan gelato at Bonta – April 10, 2015
New (vegan) foods this week:
- licks of gelato at Bontà in Bend, OR
- homemade tamale with lentil/veggie fillings
- roasted baked potato stick
Homemade vegan tamales by my parents – April 11, 2015
WEEK 35 (PARTIAL WEEK)
- able to take a step with one hand support instead of two
- crawls and pulls to stand very fast!
- launches forward from sitting onto outstretched arms
- emerging object permanence
- making a new, musical “motorcycle mouth” sound
- he seems to need to “get out of the house” most days now
1st time on grass – April 17, 2015
- 1st time sitting in the grass (4/17)
- rollerblade with stroller on the Centennial Trail (4/18)
- birthday party for a friend’s 3 year old (Jennings Park, 4/19)
- likes picking flowers in the yard (4/20)
- interested in the sound of his pee splashing in the toilet and watching the toilet flush
- he bonks his forehead too often!
Rollerblading on the Centennial Trail – April 18, 2015
New (vegan) foods this week:
- pancake containing pumpkin
- avocado slice in the peel
- ground veggie taco meat
- cantaloupe wedge
- watermelon wedge
- pear slice
- Cabbage Roll Casserole filling
1st taste of watermelon – April 19, 2015
EIGHTH MONTH WRAP-UP
Right now, Todd is finishing his 46th can of “formula milk.” He’s just starting to be able to tip his own bottle back from an upright position. When reclined, he can hold his own bottle with just one hand. Often, distraction gets the best of him when he’s left to feed himself (he flips over and sits up before he’s done), so I prefer holding him while he eats. I like that bonding time with him, anyway! Even when I hold him, he starts and stops. Mr. Curious About Everything!
Todd eats solid food about twice per day, consisting of a combo of purees and finger foods. Every morning he gets a green smoothie and a pancake. Every afternoon or evening he gets other foods based on what we’re having. I typically feed him the pureed food first and then offer the finger foods. Todd will try pretty much anything he can get into his mouth…and more is getting down the hatch all the time! He’s a good eater.
Todd eats the same foods that Eric and I eat, but I do open a jar of Earth’s Best organic baby food a couple times per week. It’s definitely convenient and Todd really likes the sweet potatoes and the carrots. (We first tried the jarred food when Eric’s mom gave us a small assortment.)
Todd still takes a very consistent and long morning nap in his swing (2-3+ hours). He may or may not take an afternoon nap. Sometimes he doesn’t take one simply because I don’t offer one (it depends on the length of the morning nap and our afternoon activities). An afternoon nap in the swing does still happen, but more often Todd catches a few Zs in the car, in the stroller, or on a warm body (usually on Eric in the late evening if he’s lucky!).
I started out this post mentioning that Todd had some rough nights of sleep in that first week (week 31). I thought maybe a tooth would show up this month, but there’s still no sign of that yet.
After that week, he more or less continued his pattern of sleeping through the night 10-ish hours per night on 4-5 nights per week. 2-3 nights per week he woke up once in the night.
Over the past week, though– that pattern seems to be reversed. Presently, he’s waking up once per night most nights and only sleeping straight through the night a couple nights per week…
For example, last night (April 20 to 21), Todd went to bed at 8 PM and he was asleep when I put him in bed. He woke up crying at 11:15 PM. I fed him 1 1/2 oz formula, but then he didn’t want anymore. He just seemed ready to go back to sleep. I was able to get him back in his crib by 11:30 PM, then he slept soundly until 6:45 AM.
A rare daytime catnap on me – April 19, 2015
Things are going great, here! The only poop that didn’t make it directly into the toilet this month happened because I failed to immediately react to an obvious sign that Todd had to go. I actually said something to Eric before it happened. It was totally my fault.
I have a running tally of the number of poopy diapers since we started taking Todd to the toilet (starting 12/03/14). We’re only up to 16 poopy diapers, which seems pretty awesome to me!!
Todd’s definitely more aware of himself when he’s on the toilet now. When he starts to pee, he immediately looks down between his legs as if watching where the pee is going. He’s definitely aware of the sensation of peeing and pooping. He still smiles big when I praise him for going in the toilet. Afterward, he likes to look in the toilet and watch it flush.
Well– I guess that’s all for now!
It’s been a busy month and I predict it’s only going to get busier. It’s all good, though…Happy Spring!
Enjoying some fresh air with Eric after he got home from work – April 20, 2015